THE STRUCTURE OF A SENTENCE - COMPOUND SENTENCE

COMPOUND SENTENCE
  • A compound sentence contains two independent clauses joined by a coordinator.
  • The coordinators are as follows: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. (The hint: The first letter of each of the coordinators spells "FANBOYS".)
  • Except for very short sentences, coordinators are always preceded by a comma.
EXAMPLES
  1. I am a teacher, and my wife is a doctor. (this is a compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I am a teacher and my wife is a doctor. Remember, the word "and" is one of coordinator.)
  2. I tried to speak Arabic, and my sister tried to speak English. (this is a compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I tried to speak Arabic and my sister tried to speak English. Remember, the word "and" is one of coordinator.)
  3. I want to be a doctor, but I need to receive my science degree. (this is a compound sentence made up of two independent clauses: I want to be a doctor and I need to receive my science degree. Remember, the word "but" is one of coordinator.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Example of Narrative Text - A Little Girl in a Village

Example of Narrative Text - An Honest Boy