Relative Pronouns

Relative Pronouns

There are five relative pronouns: who, whom, whose, which, that*

Who (subject) and Whom (object) are generally only for people. Whose is for possession, Which is for things. That can be used for people, things and as subject and object. 

1.      Who - subject or object pronoun for people.
They caught the lady who killed her baby.

2.      Whose - Possession
The police are looking for the car whose driver was masked.

3.      Which - subject or object pronoun.
I read the book which is on the table.
I visited the town which you told me about.

4.      Whom - used for object pronoun for people, especially in non-restrictive relative clauses (in restrictive relative clauses use who).
The boy whom you told me about got the best grades in mathematics.

5.      That - subject or object pronoun for people, animals and things in restrictive relative clauses (who or which are also possible).
I like the vase that is over there. 

Relative adverbs

1.      Where - referring to a place.
The restaurant where I usually have dinner is nice.

2.      When - referring to a time.
There are times when I feel so lonely.

3.      Why - referring to a reason.
This is why she refused the offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Example of Narrative Text - A Little Girl in a Village

Example of Narrative Text - An Honest Boy